Note for lazy people : download ADS from Source forge now.
Automatic Deployment Script is a tool to help web developers who use SVN for version control. It automatically updates the demo server with changes as soon as they commit changes to repository.
It makes our life easier as web developer, when we have to give demo to clients frequently, and more then one person working on project, it is very hard to keep track of all the changes. To solve these, ADS employs svn hook’s to execute itself when an commit is detected by svn repository. It also sends emails to developers and testers when it successfully uploads files to server.
Even if it fails to upload the files for some reason, we still have a place where all the files that has been changed are exported so one can easily upload the files manually.
- Exports only those files that has been changed during a commit.
- FTP the file to demo server.
- sends emails to developers and testers, or anyone you wish to.
- it sends list of files that has been exported as attachment.
- it sends two mails, one before deployment and other after deployment.
- it keeps a detailed log of all the activity it does.
- Easy to backtrack the steps.
- Exports changes in only those repository which are set for use with ADS.
Windows It is tested only on windows operating system, but with little modification it can be used with Linux also.
Download the latest version of ADS: Automatic deployment script from sourceforge.
Once you’re ready, read the installation instructions below.
Installation and Usage
- Extract the compressed file.
- Put these files in you localhost.
- edit the “post-commit.bat” to reflect the correct path for ADS according to your installation.
- now put this file(post-commit.bat) to “hooks” directory of your svn repository
- make sure that “ads_tmp” folder is writable. that’s it you are ready to use…. when we will get the time we will make installer for this.
- To use ADS with an existing repository
- first point your browser to index page of ADS, here fill the ftp details and email address.
- download the “ads.xml” file.
- now we need to add this(ads.xml) file to our root folder of repository for that project. For example as shown in image, my source code is in “adsweb” folder so ads.xml file is in root of this folder.
- To use ADS with new project
- first create the repository then add the “ads.xml” as explained above. now add the files and they will be uploaded as it is.
- Please note that while providing ftp username, make sure that it is locked to htdocs or www or whatever is your main folder on the server where you want the files to upload, as ADS assumes that when it connects to ftp server the root directory is where it needs to upload the files and does not change the directory.
- their should not be any space in folder name or upload may fail.
if you still have problem or doubt please send a mail to me or leave comment below.
If you find ADS useful, have found a bug, or want to request a feature, please get in touch either via e-mail or through our Sourceforge project page.
The only way to make ADS a better product is by using it and coming with bugs. We think ADS is pretty good at doing its job, but then again you might write something weird that causes it to barf, so let us know how it faired against your code.
Access to SVN
If your hunting bugs, grab the latest version from SVN or check against SVN via the Web.
svn co https://adscript.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/adscript adscript
Copyright and License
The information below applies to everything in the distribution, except where noted.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the Mozilla Public License Version 1.1.This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the Mozilla Public License for more details. Mozilla Public License Version 1.1