For those in hurry, download the plugin from jquery plugin page
It is a modal pop up box. It can be used to display any url as popup box.
It’s simplicity lies in the fact that, we can use it to display forms etc, and then submit the forms, something like I used it for thesoko login box.
Here is an screenshot of akModal in action.
Anatomy of akModal Box
• Easy to create popup box
• No AJAX required for submitting forms
How to create it
This is the simplest process of all; you need to include all the dependencies along with akmodal.js file. Then just call
$.showAkModal(navurl,title,box_width,box_height) function onclick event.
navurl: it is the url to show in the popup box.
title: is the title to show for pop up box.
box_width & box_height: it is width and height of the pop up box that you want to show.
<a href='test.htm' id='ak_sign_in' onclick="$.showAkModal(this.href,'Sign In',230,170);return false;"> sign in</a>
How to destroy it
There are two functions that you can call from inside the iframe, to remove the pop up box.
1. First function is akModalRemove(), this will simply remove the popup box from the view, as it does when you click the close button in title of popup box. To use this function from our Iframe window just call this function like this
2. Second function is akModalHideAndRedirect(redirect_url), this will remove the popup box and redirect the page to url specified by redirect_url parameter. This function is useful when you have sign in forms etc, where on successful login you want to show the user, a bit customized page. To use this function from Iframe window just call this function like
How to customize it
Just goto line number 35 in akmodal.js file, and change the styles etc as per your requirement.
If you need more information leave a comment below.
Update(5th July 2008) : released version 1.1.0.
- This version removes the error that was due to dependency on interface plugin.
- Updated to use dimensions plugin 1.2
Version 1.0 can be downloaded from